Networking & Interviewing
Networking — building relationships with people in fields that interest you — is a vital component of any career. It is also the method through which approximately 80 percent of job seekers find their jobs and is a valuable resource for learning about new fields. Alumni are strongly encouraged to use the alumni network in order to conduct information-seeking interviews and to prepare for formal interviews. Information-seeking or informational interviews are considered as important as position-specific interviews. Preparation and follow-up are key. During any interview, be sure to articulate how you would add value to the company and help overcome the challenges it currently faces. In support of your preparation, complimentary mock interviews are available to all alumni. Moreover, salary negotiation resources are also available as part of the final step in your career transition process. Access to legal representation for employment matters is available upon request.
In order to further support networking, the Alumni Relations Office offers a robust calendar of professional and social events. These events take place year-round and in most major cities in the world. Furthermore, alumni clubs and online social networking features (such email listservs and CBS alumni groups on LinkedIn and Facebook) also offer valuable ways to connect with alumni, past coworkers, and like-minded professionals. The school also hosts industry-specific conferences, industry-networking panels, and professional forums throughout the year to keep you connected and informed.
Networking and Interviewing Resources:
- Alumni Directory: This online database allows alumni to search for fellow Columbia Business School graduates by name, function, company, industry, and special interests. Included in the alumni directory is contact information, a professional profile, résumés, and social networking connections.
- Interview Preparation: Alumni Career Services offers alumni complimentary interview preparation. In order to participate in a mock interview, please sign-up for an individual advising appointment on the Alumni Careers homepage.
- Alumni Clubs: Through alumni clubs, talented volunteer leaders organize stimulating professional and social events, providing alumni with opportunities to learn from and network with their peers around the world. There are over 65 alumni clubs across the globe.
- Alumni Events Calendar: This calendar houses information and registration directions for alumni events taking place around the world.
- Alumni E-mail Lists: Subscription-based e-mail listservs are available on the alumni website. Using the lists, alumni can ask questions as well as receive information related to their specific job function, current or targeted industry, geographical area, or professional interests.
Networking and Interviewing Worksheets:
- Sample Networking Correspondence 1 (PDF)
- Sample Networking Correspondence 2 (PDF)
- Sample Interview Questions (PDF)
- Tip Sheet: Informational Interviewing (PDF)
- Tip Sheet: Salary Benchmarking (PDF)
- Salary Negotiation Article And Counter Proposal Letter (PDF)
- Tip Sheet: Using LinkedIn As A Job Search Tool (PDF)
- Tip Sheet: Using the Alumni Directory As A Job Search Tool (PDF)