The Deming Cup
We are pleased to announce that the winners of the 2013 Deming Cup are H. Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO, SC Johnson & Son, Inc. and Paolo Rocca, Chairman and CEO, Tenaris S.A.
The Deming Cup is an annual prize presented by the Deming Center at Columbia Business School to recognize a world leader who has made outstanding contributions in the area of operational excellence and has fostered the culture of continuous improvement in an organization.
The 2013 Deming Cup Award Ceremony was held on Tuesday, October 29 at Columbia University.
The Judging Committe is led by Rob Amen '73, an executive in residence at the School and former CEO of International Flavors and Fragrances, and Paul O'Neill, former Secretary of the US Treasury and former director and chairman of Alcoa.
Judging Committee 2013:
- Saad Abdul-Latif, CEO, PepsiCo Asia, Middle East, Africa
- César Alierta Izuel '70, Chairman and CEO, Telefónica
- Rob Amen '73, Columbia Business School
- Lucien Arkas, Chairman, Arkas Group
- Wolfgang Bernhard '88, Member of the Board of Management, Daimler AG
- Kevin Burke '83, Chairman, President and CEO, Consolidated Edison
- Ivoncy Brochmann Ioschpe, Chairman, Iochpe-Maxion S.A.
- John Church, EVP, Supply Chain, General Mills
- John Coatsworth, Provost, Columbia University
- Bruno Di Leo, SVP for Sales and Distribution, IBM Corporation
- John Dillon '71, Vice Chairman and Senior Managing Director, Evercore Partners
- Ali Doğramacı, Chair, Board of Trustees, Bilkent University
- Awi Federgruen, Columbia Business School
- Beth Ford '95, Chief Supply Chain & Operations Officer, Land O’Lakes, Inc.
- Nelson Fraiman '71, Columbia Business School
- Peter Gibbons, EVP, Supply Chain Operations, Mattel
- Lynne Greene, President of Clinique, Origins, and Ojon, Estée Lauder
- Thomas Groos '80, Partner, City Light Capital
- Richard Jaffe '92, Managing Director, Stifel, Nicolaus & Co
- Jeffrey Keefer, Former CFO, DuPont
- Klaus Kleinfeld, Chairman and CEO, Alcoa
- Shelly Lazarus '70, Chairman, Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide
- Sang Wan Lee, Former President, Samsung Electronics
- Nicolás Loaiza, Co-founder and CEO, Bodytech
- Terry Lundgren, Chairman, President and CEO, Macy's, Inc.
- Sergio Marchionne, CEO, Fiat S.p.A., and Chairman and CEO, Chrysler Group LLC
- Jorge Morán, President and CEO, Sovereign Bank
- David Niles '98, President, SSA & Co
- Bennett Nussbaum '71, SVP and CFO, Winn-Dixie
- Paul O’Neill, Former Secretary of the U.S. Treasury
- Quentin Roach, SVP and Chief procurement Officer, Merck & Co
- R. Seshasayee, Executive Vice Chairman, Ashok Leyland Ltd.
- Keith Sherin '91, Chairman and CEO, GE Capital, GE
- S.D. Shibulal, CEO and Managing Director, Infosys
- Charles Sorenson, President and CEO, Intermountain Healthcare
- George Stalk, Senior Advisor and BCG Fellow, The Boston Consulting Group
- Burt Steinberg '70, Former President and Director, Dress Barn
- David Thurm, COO, The Art Institute of Chicago
- Hans Van Alebeek, EVP, Supply Chain Operations, Nike
- Garrett van Ryzin, Columbia Business School
Criteria and Eligibility Requirements
- Global leader who has applied and demonstrated the Deming principles
- Organization that exhibits multidimensional excellence (for instance excellence in safety, environmental responsibility and a view towards inclusion)
- Organization known for continuous improvement.
- An organization that has increased in shareholder value over a sustained period of time due to organic growth
- An organization where operational excellence has made a decisive impact on the competitive position of the firm
- Evidence of a culture in which all stakeholders in the organization are treated with dignity and respect
- Leader who requires data driven analysis and has clear commitment to impactful training and skill development
The nomination can be self or third-party recommendation. The nominee must demonstrate his/her contribution in the achievements of operational excellence, through specific and measurable outcomes.
Individuals can only receive the award once and the nominee must be alive at the time of nomination.
Nominations for this year's Deming Cup will be received from April 1 to June 1, 2013. To send an application for 2013 click here.