Columbia University owns and directly manages approximately 5,700 residential units in 143 buildings in the immediate vicinity of the main campus in Morningside Heights. All Business School doctoral students are eligible for University housing, but students must apply for this housing.
Columbia University housing is managed by the University Apartment Housing department (UAH), which manages all of the University’s off-campus real estate properties. All UAH apartments are in the Morningside Heights neighborhood, within walking distance of the Columbia campus.
- All UAH buildings are managed and operated by University employees, and the University takes special measures to provide a secure living environment for all residents.
- UAH’s manager of security operations instructs and oversees all building personnel on security and safety procedures.
- All UAH buildings have superintendents residing either in or very near the building.
- Columbia University Security provides car and foot patrols for the entire UAH area. They also maintain strategically situated guard kiosks and provide emergency call boxes throughout the area.
- The Morningside Area Alliance, a community-service organization founded by the major institutions in Morningside Heights, also provides security patrols.
- During the academic year, evening and night shuttle and escort services to locations throughout the neighborhood are available to all Columbia students.
More information on University-owned accommodations, including monthly rental rates, and information on off-campus housing options can be found on the UAH Web site.