Special Concentration in Business Management - FAQ
1. How do I major in Financial Economics and complete the Special Concentration in Business Management?
You must take an extra elective from the Financial Economics list to make up for the overlapping Financial Accounting or Corporate Finance class.
2. Does IEOR E2261 Intro to Accounting & Finance count for BUSI 3013 Financial Accounting?
No, the two courses are not the same. Only BUSI W 3013 counts for the Special Concentration in Business Management.
3. If I do not apply, or am not accepted into the select group, how do I still get credit for the Special Concentration?
You must ask your Advising Dean to add the Special Concentration in Business Management to your program of studies. Note: Because the business classes are very popular, it is very difficult to register for them. Only students who apply and are accepted are guaranteed space in the business classes.
4. Can I apply for the Special Concentration in Business Management while I am studying abroad?
Yes - the application will be available at http://www.gsb.columbia.edu/undergraduate/application.
5. What do you look for in the application?
We consider grades, difficulty of coursework taken, essay, faculty reference, work experience, and extra-curricular activities.
6. What should I do if I took a class pass/fail?
All classes for the Special Concentration must be taken for a letter grade. Your options are 1) petition to uncover the grade, 2) take a different course that is acceptable (e.g.: students who took ECON W1105 as pass/fail may take ECON W3211 or ECON W3213 instead), or 3) re-take the course for a letter grade.
7. Are there any summer classes available?
The core business courses are not offered in the summer. For the prerequisite and elective courses, please check with the respective departments. Remember that transfer credit is only accepted for the prerequisite courses.
8. Do the business courses taught at the School of Continuing Education count for the Special Concentration?
No - the College does not accept credit for these courses, and neither can we.
9. What transfer or AP credits are accepted?
AP and transfer credits are only accepted for the prerequisite courses and only according to the policies of Columbia's respective departments. Core and elective courses must be taken at Columbia (or Barnard).
Specifically, the only AP credits accepted are the following:
- • For the ECON W1105 requirement, students must have received at least one four and one five on the AP Intermediate Micro and Macro halves of the exam.
- • For the statistics requirement, students must have received a score of five on the AP Statistics exam.
- • The AP credits will be considered as "B+ or better" if the above criteria are met.